Wolinetz & Horvath
Call Us Today 614-362-8847

Columbus Family Law Blog

Can you withdraw a divorce or dissolution petition?

Sometimes while going through a divorce or dissolution, the two spouses realize they would like to give their marriage another try or that they would prefer to stay legally married for reasons such as finances. Maybe the picture with assets is more complicated than previously thought, for example. Alternatively, it could be that the spouses have to move to another state and plan to refile for divorce there.

Is it possible to withdraw your request for a divorce or dissolution even if proceedings have almost ended?

Bitcoin: A new way to hide assets

Attempting to hide assets during an Ohio divorce is not new. What is new, however, is the way in which some high-asset spouses do it. If you have not heard of Bitcoin and the other cryptocurrencies, you should research them and how they work if you suspect that your spouse is hiding assets from you. You also should alert your attorney to them so that (s)he can investigate whether or not your spouse is using them.

A cryptocurrency, a/k/a digital currency, is a “geeky” form of money. Actually, Bitcoin and the other cryptocurrencies are not money at all in the way we normally use that word. You cannot see or touch them. They are virtual money that more and more people are using to buy merchandise and more and more merchants are accepting as payment.

Setting spousal support involves intricate set of factors

A divorce court does not always order spousal support when an Ohio couple splits up. Very short marriages often do not include spousal support requirements, for instance.

However, when deciding whether an order is appropriate, many factors, beyond the parties' assets and current incomes, come into play. The Ohio Revised Code requires the court to consider a list of factors.

When can a Child Support Order be Modified in the State of Ohio?

Sometimes after a child support order has been issued, the circumstances of either of the parents will have changed in such a substantial way that a modification to the child support order may be warranted. A parent who is seeking such a modification may do so either by filing a motion to modify the order with the court or, in some instances, by submitting a request to the appropriate Child Support Enforcement Agency. It is important for a person seeking a modification of child support to consult a knowledgeable attorney in order to determine how best to proceed.

Can I Divorce My Spouse If He or She Won't Sign the Paperwork?

Divorce is undoubtedly simpler when both spouses agree to the divorce and its terms. When this occurs, the spouses often can simply obtain a dissolution, which is in effect a divorce, but allows the parties to agree on most of the terms of the divorce without court involvement. However, when the parties cannot agree to terms, a divorce will be required.

What is Cash Medical Support in Ohio?

When parents are parties to a divorce or other legal action involving a minor child, a court will issue an order regarding the cost to cover health insurance for the minor child. Depending on the circumstances of the parents, a court can order the mother, the father or both parents to provide private health insurance for the minor children, so long as it is available at a reasonable cost and is accessible.

The Advantages of Hiring a Lawyer for a Dissolution or Uncontested Divorce

Post-Decree-Litigation.pngDivorces are rarely easy, but people are increasingly finding out how to make the process as amicable as possible. As a result, many people choose to forgo hiring a lawyer and represent themselves in the termination of their marriage. However, choosing to forgo legal counsel and proceeding on your own with a dissolution or a divorce cannot only be time consuming and confusing, but it can also lead to problems in the future. Here are a few of the reasons why you should consider hiring a lawyer to assist in terminating your marriage, even in cases where you and your spouse agree on everything.

Office Map

Wolinetz & Horvath

Wolinetz & Horvath
250 Civic Center Drive
Suite 220
Columbus, OH 43215

Phone: 614-362-8847
Columbus Law Office Map