Guiding You Toward A Better Future

How can I protect my child from their other parent?

On Behalf of | Dec 31, 2022 | Child Custody

Navigating a divorce and child custody can be a challenging road. Regardless of who initiated the divorce, there are often complex situations beyond the average divorce.

In some cases, your ex may threaten your and your child’s safety, and it can be challenging to know how to advocate for your child’s safety.

Here’s what you should know about some of the options available to keep your child safe when their other parent is a threat.

Getting a modification (and enforcing it)

In some cases, you may not realize the other parent is harming your child until you have a child custody agreement. There are a few times when you can seek a modification, and situations where there is substance abuse, neglect or child abuse are among those treated the most seriously.

Still, there may be times when you get a successful modification, but the other parent does not follow the new guidelines. In these situations, you may need to file a motion for comtempt that includes each violation.

Orders for protection

Being able to ensure your child’s safety is essential. When the other parent continues to be a threat, or if the threat is severe, you may need to seek a Civil Protection Order in criminal court, Domestic Relations Court or both. Depending on the situation, you may be able to get an order that offers protection for years.

Protecting your child from a dangerous situation with their other parent is essential. You should talk to a skilled professional about the options available to protect your child.

FindLaw Network